Monday, May 18, 2009

Viking II: San Carlos, Sonora, MX ... still

It is nice to stay in one place for a while; up by eight am to catch the San Carlos cruiser net on VHF 72; emergencies... none; who is here? news? the weather report and fish sightings only (I haven't had any "real news" at all); who needs what; who has what; Trisha had cinnamon rolls, freshly baked for anyone coming by KTM that morning. Trisha and Doug had directed Desert Wind to the open slip next to them because the marina personnel were on national holiday. I showed up, as official tow dingy, and got breakfast also.

Just a clarification for those who asked, Desert Wind, a Newport 30 sailboat, did motor backwards for 26 miles (of the 230 miles) to reach San Carlos.

Today I felt that I had procrastinated long enough on hull cleaning; you would not believe the muck that collects in 1800 miles. All of these tasks are sort of new, since there is no dock, water hose, etc. I am at anchor out in the bay ... the cheap seats (actually free :-). So I tied the dingy bow and stern to the life lines and started scrubbing with sea water. A couple from a house on the hill paddled up in their kayak to admire Viking II up close (they had been looking from afar with their view of the whole bay). They suggested I should not pass the whole day working on the boat but "smell the roses." I took their advice and planned to go to lunch with William (I did finish all 130 feet of hull first; I need a smaller boat). The work day ends early ....

Today is a record. A hot shower two days in a row ... I won't say how many showers there have been in the last month; California probably has a law about that. When cruising, adjustments must be made. So ... I forgot to take my pills this morning; geazers take pills .... geazers forget to take their pills. Here that is not a problem; double the Pacifico and there is no hypertension, no pain ...

Erik, Viking II

No comments:

Post a Comment