Monday, May 18, 2009

Viking II: San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico going home


Life in San Carlos is a little quiet these days ... everyone has gone home.


The Dixie chicks had a run in with the police .... well sort of. Seems they were out late at a San Carlos restaurant and could not get a cab home. They started to walk the two miles back to the condo. Wouldn't you know it but the police stopped them and asked what they were doing out there in the dark. After a short conversation, the pick up crew cab was emptied with the officers riding in back; the ladies were driven back to their condo. I protested that I had made the same, two mile, hike three times and the cops passed me by. Laura said it was because I was not wearing three inch stiletto heals ... the Dixie chicks have gone home to Canada and Georgia.



Garth (tunaholic) came by Viking II just after the net. He and Charlie had been out fishing with the young Alberto in tow. Catching tuna has been difficult because the Humboldt squid are in; every time you throw a lure in the water, the squid hit it. There was plenty of squid. Garth invited us and Decade Dance up to Evies restaurant for a squid feed. I don't like squid; it was great.


Stanley is an elderly, retired diver who still holds the record of about an eight hundred foot, bell dive. He lives on a small boat attached to a mooring ball; the boat looks like Sanford and Son's junk yard. Sidney is hard of hearing and has poor eye sight; Garth keeps an eye on him. I delivered some water to Stanley since he only rows to shore (no outboard). Today he rowed by Viking II; wow, I hope I can do that when I am “elderly.” Stanley is at home on the water.



Craig and Jo flew in from Phoenix to visit with Mia and me on the boat. This is the jet setter life; it is just piston powered ... airplane, dingy, etc. Sitting in the cockpit of Viking II talking with all of nature around us; margaritas are part of nature I think, so we had them too .... Mia cooked squid on the George Foreman grill. Life and conversation is laid back on the water. Yesterday, Mia, Craig and Jo went home.



Now the fog has rolled in to San Carlos. From the main street to the bay, it reminds me of Sacramento ... limited visibility. Fortunately Beuport is a beacon on the bay to find Viking II at night. Today I moved further away from Beuport to a mooring ball. Viking II has stayed put through 25 mile per hour winds on 200 feet of chain and anchor. The problem is that the winds can be 40 and I will be leaving San Carlos too. So now Viking II is attached to four tons of concrete. We will see if she is still there when I get back.



Erik, Viking II

No comments:

Post a Comment