Monday, May 18, 2009

Viking II: San Carlos, Sonora, MX ... Dingy operations and other trivia

Hard to believe that I arrived here in San Carlos a week ago. I am not sure if there has been a lot or very little transpiring since then.

My friends from
Desert Wind hauled out to go home to New Mexico. You might just be a red neck if your boat trailer fender is held on by yellow poly cord; I helped Stan break the last weld and throw it in the back of the pickup truck. After repacking the wheel bearings in the parking lot to purge the salt water they were more or less ready to go. I will miss my crazy friends; there is nothing they could not do. Maybe now I can drink less beer and lose some weight (Stan, Rich and William were a bad influence on me:-).

I have wrestled with were and how to leave Viking II for the holidays. I have been at the same anchorage for a week; one day in a 25 mile blow I let out another fifty feet of chain because of an uncertain bite; I am a little closer to the vessel Beuport (very big) but it does not look like I have moved. Kak wants to lease her mooring ball in the bay while she goes to Puerto Vallarta for the next four months. I dingied over to survey the spot and see if there was enough room for Viking II to swing with the wind ... it may work. Kak is a world sailor who has usually crewed on high priced yachts; she has over 200 thousand miles at sea and a captain license. She now has a Morgan ketch and the freedom to go where she wants ... most of the men in the marina are chasing her wherever she goes...

Ti anchored next to me with Sundowner, Wrangle, Alaska. He grew up in Sacramento and is
associated with the local Jim Boys taco chain. His father turned the business over to him and his siblings in the 70's; but Ti was not inclined to the corporate life. He set off on a boat and has spent the last many years sailing the Pacific; the last 25 with his wife. He works in port to support their boat kitty by cutting trees; he cut some trees in New Guinea for the local tribes .... not a profitable venture. He even knew where Nadzab was.

I have been working little by little on cleaning the boat (actually very little); but Mia is coming next week and so I set to washing the decks today and vacuuming the carpet. How does all that junk get on the carpet when we are never attached to land? As Deb Green had said while I pumped the holding tank, a captain's work is never done.


Garth (tuna addict radio handle) and Doug showed up at the boat this morning with fresh caught and filleted tuna. They had been out early and successful; as Doug (from KTM) drove the panga, Garth filleted and visited most of the boats in the bay. I was doubly lucky in that they stopped by and given the size of Viking II, Garth thought there were more people on board, so I got extra. An early dinner, I cooked up half of the tuna in a pan with olive oil and garlic seasoning salt. It was out of the water less than six hours before I dined ... it was great.


Club de Capitanes (Captain Mikes) is the local watering hole and restaurant. WiFi, cold
beer (good Margaritas), passable food, cute waitresses and Sunday open mic. This is where I was directed when I arrived. Everyone comes to Mike's; I have spent a lot of time here ... as the evenings wear on and the drinking continues I remind the group of Natalie Wood and those dingies.
Erik, Viking II

No comments:

Post a Comment